ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MattDu
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Different RAW tone in Lightroom v. Aperture
Feb 2, 2013

Hi All

In trying to decide between Lightroom & Aperture to manage/edit my photos I was comparing some results side by side and noticed that the same RAW photo, imported directly into each application (prior to any adjustments) gives quite a different colour/tone for some photos.

For example:

I've just done a screen grab from the two applications, shown side by side with Lightroom on the right.

No adjustments were made - direct as they were imported.

I don't have any batch adjustments/processing set in either application.

Note also the slightly different colour temperatures and tint, and the difference in histogram.

Its most noticeable in this picture of my brother.  Other pictures (especially of natural scenes that do not include skin tones) are subjectively much more similar.  Eg:

For reference I'm shooting on the Olympus OM-D EM-5 with the 45mm/1.8 lens.  Program mode for the first and aperture priority for the second. Auto white balance in camera.

I'm a bit torn as I like the organisational structure of Aperture but prefer the more neutral skin tones of Lightroom and find it's defringing and a few other features quite useful.

Thanks for the help - new to this camera and to shooting RAW.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow