Canon EF 16-35L 2.8 II trading in for a Panasonic 7-14 4.0 ?

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,761Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 16-35L 2.8 II trading in for a Panasonic 7-14 4.0 ?
In reply to lighthunter80, Feb 2, 2013

lighthunter80 wrote:

Hi guys,

I bought a 16-35L lens last year in July for my 5d2 and I am quite happy with its quality, speed etc. However, I use this focal length mainly for traveling and I don't need the speed of 2.8 nor the small DOF. It's a nice to have but basically I'd prefer something lighter and smaller for my E-PL5.

I never used the 16-35 (the mark2 I presume) but had the 17-40L.  The corners on that lens were mush at every aperture, and the 7-14 on m43 is distinctly ahead.  It is also much wider.  In the case of the 16-35, I am pretty sure the horizontal FOV will be about the same, but there will be a lot more "sky and foreground" owing to the 4:3 AR on the (majority of) m43 cameras.  If you aren't going to take the 16-35 and 5D2 along because of size, the 7-14 on the EPL5 seems like a logical compromise.  No filters on the 7-14 though, and no real DOF control (which you mentioned not being an issue).

Now I am thinking of selling the lens and getting the Panasonic instead. Does anyone have experience with both and how does the Pana perform on an Oly body?

The only issue can be the flare response of the Oly bodies.  They will go "purple" while Pany bodies have less intense yellow/green, and of all the m43 lenses the 7-14 is the most prone to catching flare with the big bulbous front element (the 16-35 is tame in comparison).  If you are prepared to deal with it, shielding with hand, not shooting into the sun without consideration, windows in indoor ambient/church conditions, it will probably serve you well.  I tend to keep my 7-14 glued to my GH2 (multi-AR sensor is a key feature for me) but I have used it to great effect on my OMD.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow