Nikon 14-24 v Zeiss Distagon 21 F2.8 D800 for landscape and cityscape work

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,673Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 14-24 v Zeiss Distagon 21 F2.8 D800 for landscape and cityscape work
In reply to jasgee, Feb 2, 2013

jasgee wrote:

I have two photographic opportunities coming up. First is on the Isle of Skye in Scotland and the second is a few days in Manhatten New York City. I'm looking at the Nikon 14-24 and the Zeiss 21 Distagon. Having reviewed these lenses I'd appreciate comments on both for the two opportunities mentioned with consideration to the filter issues with the 14-28. Thanks Jasgee

I'd like to talk about filters for the 14-24G and the Zeiss 21mm.

The Lee filter holder for the 14-24G is the SW150. It holds the very large 150x170mm filters to accomodate FLs down to 14mm.

The regular 100x150 filters vignette on the Zeiss 21mm.

The SW150 system has an optional & relatively inexpensive adapter and along with an adapter ring will allow 150x170 filters to be attachd to any lens you have. A lot of folks are not aware of this optional piece.

http://www.2filter.com/Leefilters/Lee_SW150SA.html

So, this will enable you to use these larger filters on the Zeiss 21mm and all of your UWA lenses and avoid vignetting.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow