Senior MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?
Re: So what is the truth, Fuji?
In reply to TThorne, Feb 2, 2013

TThorne wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

TThorne wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

I don't agree on the 23mm - I think delaying that is good business. Personally I would have preferred a F2 lens anyway.

You prefer slower (you know you can stop a 1.4 lens down to f/2) or are you just assuming an f/2 lens would be a pancake? Not saying it would or wouldn't be, but remember that a good portion of the X100 lens is actually fitted in the body, so not necessarily a pancake.

Also, depends on what you think "good business" is. I am sure there are people who will not buy into the system because of that particular lens option, or lack thereof. That is bad business. Returning loyalty, or in this case not doing so with early adopters of the system cameras is bad business. The only purpose it serves is greed, which is not always good business. I'd have bought both, personally, so it wouldn't matter and Fuji would get their lousy money anyway.

To further elaborate. Look at Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic... They know that good business means selling system cameras and all the lenses that follow. They don't hurt their system sales by holding back lenses people are really wanting badly in favor of some fixed lens camera. That is along the lines of what hurt Fuji in the past with the S Series. They went with Nikon mounts and let Nikon make all the money on the lens sales.

The UWA and portrait lens are very disapointing though.

True...

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

To be clear, I would prefer a 35 which is ultra sharp wide open but a little slower. A summicron not a summilux if you will.

That clears it up a little, but if it is not about size, then I would say that based on Fuji's track record, the 23mm at 1.4 should be ultra sharp wide open, and even better at f/2, so they'll have you covered. I hope you end up liking it.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

I cannot say I'm upset with the 35mm's sharpness, though I value its depth of field more.

I've always liked an ultra sharp 28 or 35 and a super fast 50. I would have no objection to a super fast, ultra sharp 35 equivalent... In any event, given the X100S I can live with a delay on the 23mm, but I'm horrified by the delay to the UWA zoom. I know UWA zooms aren't the lens that gets used all day like a 35 equivalent, but they tend to be the shots that blow me away.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow