Canon lover switched to RX-100, and it was terrible! Need advice....

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,849Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon lover switched to RX-100, and it was terrible! Need advice....
In reply to jeffreyrdiamond, Feb 2, 2013

Much like old relationships, people tend to primarily remember the good things as time passes.  If you look back at the sample photos from the DPR review, you will see that there is a ton of visible noise even in the reduced images at base ISO.  The S110, while a step behind the S95, is worlds ahead of the IXUS 330 and most certainly not even in the same universe as my iPhone 4S, which is generally considered to have a good camera by mobile standards.  Yes, CMOS sensors are noisier than CCD all else being equal, but when comparing an S110 to either of the 2 models you mentioned, I'll take the S110 any day.  That said, I agree that the S95 has better IQ, though after spending a couple weeks with the S110 I was quite pleased with it and would be willing to live with the slight reduction in IQ for some of the other improvements it offers.  Unfortunately I had an issue with mine and had to return it, but I will likely be picking up another one.

The IS in the RX100 has to work a bit harder due to the size of the sensor (and perhaps Canon does have a better IS than Sony as well).  Also, I have found on previous Sony cameras that they tend to overexpose so I can understand that as well.  However, as far as low light goes, the RX100 most certainly beats the SD950, so I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion you did.  Having reviewed countless RX100 samples, I think there's little question as to whether the RX100 provides the best IQ ever from a pocket cam.  Still, I can't bring myself to spend $600 on one considering the reportedly poor IS and unreliable auto WB.

In the end, if you prefer the old cameras, then stick with them.  I love my S95 and wouldn't even be looking for a new one if senor dust hadn't appeared on my S95.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow