Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,914Gear list
Like?
Stupid little Oly flash is weatherproof, it seems
Feb 1, 2013

So it should be, of course, since it is teamed (now) with the EM5.

I discovered its weatherproof state a couple of days ago following a wet and rough two hour speedboat ride across the Pacific from New Ireland to Rabaul in New Britain.

As you would expect, the stupid little flash was where it should not have been -- in my handy carry bag -- and as a result got pretty wet when we ran into a storm and got thoroughly soaked by rain and spray.

The next day I found it there, still very moist, so rinsed it down with tap water, left it to dry for 24 hours, plugged it into the E-PL3 and OMG it worked and so did the E-PL3!

AND since I had it on the table, I shocked myself by actually using it yesterday evening to take a picture.

Of course, having fitted the stupid little accessory flash I lost the EVF on the E-PL3 and when the subject moved I couldn’t adjust quickly in the dim image of the LCD. Which made the picture partly pointless since I wanted to get her newly braided hair! Yes, a tiny bit of flash shadow is showing, but I can break up that boundary with the water or finger tool and that wll be just fine. Without the fill-in flash, though, this very dark skinned grl would be a black blob or there would be blown highlights all over the place; not desirable either. And that on an overcast day.

By the way -- on the boat at the very beginning of the journey before it got rough (taken with the Panny FT4 -- thank goodness I had a fully waterproof camera on hand but later, when things got really rough, I couldn't take pix, I was hanging on for dear life with both hands!).

The skipper clowns it up, but that didn’t last too long!

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 (Lumix DMC-FT4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow