D5200 banding issue; am I expecting too much from this camera?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,301Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 banding issue; am I expecting too much from this camera?
In reply to andreadawn, Feb 1, 2013

andreadawn wrote:

So, am I being overly picky, in that the banding won't really be an issue in real world terms? Or should I consider returning the camera and look at something else? I still of course have my D7000, but really wanted something smaller and lighter. Am I expecting too much from a consumer camera like the D5200 or would I be right to say, "This is not good enough Nikon; not for £700?"  

I don't know if you're being too picky or not. You have to live with the images and you should be happy with them.  Each of us will have different views on what we would accept.

This reminds me of the banding issue of the d200, which was worse than this issue.  I have a pair of d200's and shot many thousands of images with them, while only having a couple of shots that were ruined by the banding. So, for me, the issue wasn't important then, and I doubt that I'd care about the issue in the d5200.

Having said that, I would also support the notions mentioned by others, in trying the same shots at ISO 200 and certainly using at least one other RAW converter, like NX2 or Capture One. They have 30 day trials that you can download and see if the issue is still present with their conversions.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IfNew
LR4New
.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow