Offsetting cost of this hobby...microstock?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cerumen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751
Like?
Re: Offsetting cost of this hobby...microstock?
In reply to gnagel, Feb 1, 2013

Glen, nice to see your talents finding a venue. I've been a fan of yours for years.

Me, I've been exclusive to iStock since 2006, and been very pleased with the rewards over the years. Even ignoring the significant income it provided, I've learned more about photography in the last 7 years than the prior 20.

You nailed it with your description of the inspectors. I've found them to be amazingly accurate in finding faults. And I've learned from every rejection.

The thing about stock is that it's a numbers game, since (typically) 80 percent of contributors'  income is from 20 percent of the images. Images go stale over time, or they get buried in search results, or they get copied by a better-executed version.

I'm not confident that iStock's a place I'd put my eggs anymore, certainly not as an exclusive. In general, I'd describe learning how to shoot stock as a unique self-instruction and creative challenge, a chance to truly put your work out there. Congrats on your success.

Stock site is linked off signature

-- hide signature --

Eric
www.pbase.com/cerumen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow