A true D700 successor: D600 sensor in D800 body ... and fur gods sake, leave the damn video out!!!

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,126
Like?
Re:
In reply to Chevypower, Feb 1, 2013

Chevypower wrote:

I think the D800 is good enough to be considered a "true replacement to the D700." However, I also see the benefit to a version with the 16 or 24mp sensor for speed and low-light capability. Dropping video doesn't make any sense because it won't be significantly cheaper to manufacture, and they will not sell as many as they would with video. I also see the drawback to having too many models so close together. So I can't see it happening either. A shame really, because it would make a good camera.

A "true replacement for the D700" would serve the needs of all D700 owners.

While the D800 is more than an upgrade for many, the D800 does not serve the needs of the serious sports/action photographer that shoots with the D700 both because of the D800's limited fps and because 36MP is a burden on a workflow when processing large quantities of sports/action images.  Right now, Nikon does not have an affordable camera (no more than $3k) with a modern sensor for the sports/action photographer and upgrades to both the D700 and D300 are overdue for this market segment.  I have no idea if Nikon will upgrade one or both, but it seems safe that they won't abandon that segment of the market entirely.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow