Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,802Gear list
Like?
Not impressed with D5200 samples at Imaging Resource
Feb 1, 2013

When comparing the D5200 images to those of the D7000 using the Imaging Resource Comparometer,  I prefer the color accuracy and acuity of the D7000 images to that of the D5200. It appears that any resolution advantage the D5200 has is being lost to noise reduction (or possibly the sensor micro-lenses or AA filter?), causing softness even at 100 ISO, and the colors shift and fade as ISO increases as well. At 3200 ISO the D7000 is showing muchbetter color contrast retention and less color shift than the D5200.  Maybe the RAW files will yield something more impressive, but after all the hype by some on this forum about the wonderful new 24MP "Toshiba" sensor, I' m disappointed in what I am seeing so far at least, and wonder if Nikon chose to use this Toshiba sensor base on cost consideration alone.  

See what you think

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow