richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,795Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it time to give up on Olympus?
In reply to tjuster1, Feb 1, 2013

tjuster1 wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

I agree Olympus really needs a semi-pro kit zoom. But is the lack of one lens really a reason to "give up" on them? Would the Panasonic 12-35 not suffice?

The Panasonic 12-35 is made for Panasonic cameras. You can not expect great results using it on an OM body enough to make up for the high price. It is loaded with CA and even light room 4 will not remove it all. Sharpness is no better than my panasonic 14-45 which does not work so great on my OM body either. It works so much better in my old G1 and thats were it stays now. I did try the 12-60 and 14-54 mk2 four thirds lens with adapter option but whats the point of trying to go light and small with micro fours thirds then?

This is silly. The correction Panasonic does to remove CA is (built-in) software correction, so it ought to be (and is) possible to remove it afterwards with other products, like LR. And if the 12-35mm is nearly as sharp as the 14-45mm at larger apertures then that's more of a statement of just how good the 14-45mm is rather than a slight to the 12-35mm.

Your claim that the 14-45mm doesn't "work so great on [your] OM body" totally bewilders me and is contrary to my own experience: the 14-45mm is my favorite lens on the OMD, producing fabulous images. It's just as good on the OMD as it was on the G1, GX1, and G3 I've owned. Further, its OIS (which can be turned on and off with an external switch) makes it equally valuable on the PM series camera, which lack the great IBIS of the OMD.

So, basically, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Neither does anyone else.

One of the motivations for the m43 standard was that it would be a standard - lenses manufactured to the standard will work on bodies manufactured to the standard. They've done a great job. Look at the paucity of complaints on the issue in a forum that often seems devoted to nitpicking complaints.

The Panasonic 7-14 works very well on my E-M5.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow