State of the industry - from the customers POV

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
Re: State of the industry - from the customers POV
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Feb 1, 2013

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

The first lady booked me for a wedding a few years back so is a paying customer of our profession. Or was perhaps you'd say. She's been approached (as a "good pitcher taker") to shoot a wedding and was asking me about lighting and speedlights. Point being our customers are our competition.

To be clear, you're saying that a bride was considering spending thousands of dollars on quality imagery but instead decided to approach a friend of acquaintance instead to do it for free? No?

That woman is NOT my competition. She is NOT taking money out of my pocket. That friend would NEVER have contacted me.

I"ve yet to get anything from my 2 bridal shows (just got the list from one yesterday afternoon) but a few photogs that have done some and a couple of DJ friends say it's dry out there...Venue managers say bookings are down this year, but in January inquiries were well over normal - so perhaps brides are just starting late (or way early..) and without a venue haven't gotten around to photogs/DJs yet. Or so I hope that's what it is.

My bookings are WAY ahead of normal this year. 75% full on January 1st, in fact. I even had a first time experience: someone booked me before they booked their venue. Never had that happen before!

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow