Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?
Re: Equipment for Tanzania
In reply to RBFresno, Feb 1, 2013

RBFresno wrote:

djsphynx wrote:

RichLI wrote:

Great information.

Knowing that Tarangire, the crater and Serengeti are on on-road only is very helpful.

Dont believe we're scheduled right now for any of the private game farms - now that I know this I'm going to see if there are any available along our itinerary.....

See here my equipment summary after last February's trip to Tanzania

http://www.cuibono.ca/blog/tanzania/default.shtml#equipment

See here for my equipment summary after last July's trip to Kenya

http://www.cuibono.ca/blog/kenya/default.shtml

That should give you a lot of information, stats etc on what to bring and what not

Happy reading.

R

Those are thorough and extremely helpful links. I hope folks take the time to read them!!!

I would add that I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

One of my surprises was how little I missed the 14-24 which I left behind.

Also you mention that you never used the SB-900 flash.

I was starting to think the same thing. Then on my next to last day, there was a leopard up in a tree with poor light and buried in the shadows. My initial shots were not nearly what I wanted.

Even though I was at least a hundred feet away, the SB-900 threw just enough light onto the subject to help a lot (note how the closer branches are brighter lit by the flash than the distant branches. The "blown out" background attests to how little light was on the leopard, as does the EXIF data):

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR ,SB-900
1/500s f/4.0 at 500.0mm iso4000

Here's a shot where a lioness was in a poorly lit den with her cubs. The flash helped a bit....

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR ,SB-900
1/800s f/4.5 at 500.0mm iso1600

Again, thanks for the excellent links!

Best Regards,

RB

Thanks for popping by RB,

I'll probably do another quick one from my last trip this past December. I figured it was the easiest way for me to give people information since I was really in the dark before heading out there the first time.

Cheers

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow