DO YOU STILL PRINT PICTURES?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: DO YOU STILL PRINT PICTURES?
In reply to t.c. marino, Feb 1, 2013

I have been shooting weddings since the 90's. First started with a nikon F100 (film days) and the D70 was my first digital wedding camera. I also shoot events. My delivery method is DVD disc with high res files. I have one package and it is simple. My package is priced in a way that any bride with a decent budget could afford it. The question comes at times from the bride as to where is the best place to print a thank you card or a few photos for the grandparents but rarely are they looking to do any large prints and some print a few 8x10's. The thing is that I offered the photo books in the past but it became a little bit of an issue so I stopped doing them because:

-The profit was not high because brides know they can also create a photobook themselves the way they want to lay it out and know what the photo books cost. A lot of people are on a budget now days and they cut out extras when they can. Sure they and I know that I could do a better job with the layout but not all wanted to pay for it or make the profit worth it.

-Some brides would take forever to get back to me with the images they wanted in the book (A.D.D busy society) and the time it took to create the book and make changes was not worth the little profit that came from the photo book.

The brides I have dealt with rarely even consider a leather album (kind of dated to them). It is kind of sad that our images are files that live on a desktop and some make it to a facebook account, Ipad/Iphone, wallpaper on a computer or a digital photo frame. I am friends with most my brides and visit them at times and yet to see anything beyond 1 to 5 8x10's printed and that is even a rare thing to see. People view bridal photography as a way to capture the day but I think the demand for prints is just not the same in my world. I sometimes wonder why we as photographers do demand sooooo much from our work and I know that is what we are paid to do but it saddens me that most my 18-24 megapixel camera photos will never see the light of day on a print. Let alone anything above an 8x10. I think some photographers depending on market or budget can still be doing a lot of prints but I think that is the expectation. I would be doing prints all day if it was meant to protect the quality of my work but once you hand that disc over, it is up to the client how they display your work. Brides now days demand a disc and at that point you can only educate them on how to get good prints but they may still do the EASY way. I am also going to add that the good print labs are disappearing slowly. I also dont own a walk in studio so that has a lot to do with it. Maybe you can sell large prints if you have a physical studio but that is also not the what you usually see now days.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow