The 12-35 mm for landscape.

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,215Gear list
Like?
PF can be hard to remove in post, whereas CA is easy.
In reply to RealPancho, Feb 1, 2013

It's common to confuse PF and CA and think they are all the same. CA is present in all images because the lens bends light of different colors in a different way. It is 100% predictable and most if not all RAW converters can remove it quite effectively. PF is very different: it is light from bright areas that gets dispersed and thus penetrates dark areas, especially near the edge between light and dark. In most lenses the color of these fringes, hence the name "purple fringing" but on some lenses (like the Canon 17-55IS) the color is actually blue and on others (the Canon 24-70L mkI for instance) the color is red.

Since it is unpredictable where PF occurs as it depends on the scene RAW converters have difficulty in removing PF. Note: PF is different from purple/yellow CA which produces purple and yellowish fringes, not just purple.

I am certainly not arguing that the Olympus 12-50 is better than the Panasonic 12-35 but the Olympus 12-50 produces mostly correctable CA and not PF. The example image that was given here has serious PF and I also find serious PF with my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, so I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a Panasonic lens problem that is not limited to just certain models but is more generic.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow