70-200f/4 IS L + 1.4tc or 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS L?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aussie Coop
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200f/4 IS L + 1.4tc or 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS L?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Feb 1, 2013

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Aussie Coop wrote:

Hi, Ive got the 70-200 f4 IS and use it with a Kenko 1.4 DG and am very happy with real world results. I believe there isnt much difference between the DG and the DGX versions.

As I understand it there is no difference at all in the optics.

The additional electronics in the DGX is there to supply correct EXIF data when using a TC on lenses which have no traditional Extender support (doesn't apply to you); and craftily spoofed information when using lenses which are not fast enough for an f/5.6 or better combo (again, doesn't apply in your case).

So with your lens, there should be no difference either optically or in operation.

I do actually have a DG and a DGX, but I'm not a person who likes to spend time carrying out rigorous tests!  In normal use I don't detect any difference.

Thank you Steve, I do believe the old mind read that somewhere 8-).

( FYI Happysnapper ) It does correctly display the exif and extra focal length but if you're using DPP to apply any DLO adjustment it wont register, not sure if using a Canon extender will allow you to do that anyway.

Aussie Coop's gear list:Aussie Coop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow