What 35mm f1.4 to f1.8 lenses would you recommend?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505Gear list
Like?
Re: What 35mm f1.4 to f1.8 lenses would you recommend?
In reply to blakninja, Feb 1, 2013

blakninja wrote:

I tried the SEL35F18 from Sony and the blur (bokeh) in the background is not strong enough, so I'm really looking for lower than f1.8 then. Also, 50mm on NEX is just to far.. 35mm would be preferable.

That means, I have to higher my budget to 200$ then. Do you have any good suggestions for 35mm and f < 1.8?

IF 3518 is not enough you have certain options, but they are generally not cheap, or a bit cheating.

1-Longer: As some people said, if 3518 is not enough, it is better to go larger instead of faster. A 50mm, a 85mm, etc. That will give you smoother background blur. But the cost is that you will have the background compressed and and less into the photo.

2-Faster: The other option is going faster. For the nex, the only option is going manual. CV 35 1.4, SRL magic 35 1.4, or CV 35 1.2. They are not cheap, and you wont get more light (the sensor doesn't get 1 more step of light really), but you will get the shallower DoF, and for that a much more blurred background. Still, the blur could or could not be pleasant for you. More blur is not the same as good blur. Generally wider lenses give less attractive blur, while longer lenses, cause there is compression, gives more uniform and nicer ones, but again this is a matter of taste. Also, as these are all manual focus, and you will go for the Shallow DoF, you know you are going to miss a lot of shots.

3-Cheat: If you want to preserve the 35mm angle of view, any more or less fast 35mm, (sony 1.8, minolta 2.0 with LAEA2, or sigma 2.8) and cheat with Photoshop. You will be surprised how good it looks when you know what you are doing.

Personally, options 1 and 3 are the more reasonable ones. Option 2 will be expensive, and with a lot of misses, and you will probably still wont like the bockeh. Don't completely dismiss cheating. PS does incredible things now.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow