My story and the quest for a single camera.

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,385Gear list
Like?
I wish for a single camera but my needs negate having just one...
In reply to glpsace, Feb 1, 2013

I own the X-Pro1, Pentax K5 IIs and the Panasonic GH2 with a large compliment of lenses for all of them... and I wish I could just have one camera.  Life would be so much simpler with one camera but my needs for a photographic tool for all occasions and subjects keep this from becoming a reality.

I love the X-Pro1 and enjoy using it very much but as others have pointed out, it is not the camera one would choose for anything which is action related and requires quick AF, especially in low light situations.  It is small, produces amazing photos and is easy to carry with me at all times.  I imagine the X100 would be even more portable but for one thing... I need interchangeable lenses for various things that I shoot.

I use the Pentax K5 for concert work and any situation that might require a tele-zoom.  The new K5 IIs is a new acquisition and has produced some stunning photos for me.  It is my go to camera on many occasions.

The GH2 also has a place.  While it is MFT, it is also a very capable camera and with adaptors I use numerous legacy lenses (Minolta Rokkors, Canon and Leica).. The X-Pro1 also allows me to use those lenses as well.  The GH2 is also the only camera I use when I need do to video.  It has outstanding video capabilities.. and is all I need for that arena.

I think we buy and use cameras based on our needs and thus far I have not found one camera that is perfect all the time.  The K5 IIs comes close in many ways, as does the X-Pro1.

But you are right.. one camera system you could rely on all the time would be a blessing.  I just have not found that camera yet.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow