Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM or Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sorensen
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
Re: Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM or Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD
In reply to Greg lamont, Feb 1, 2013

I've had the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 for 13 months. It is very good. Good resolution. Fast autofocus. Optical stabilization. 565 grams. Only I find, that it has a slight yellowish cast.

I also just bought the old Tamron 17-50 F2.8 used. That one is very competent too, and it weighs only 430 grams. I like the Tamron, because it it is lighter. The Sigma is a little front heavy. I feel I'm going light, when taking the Tamron. The Tamron is autofocusing quite quickly and accurately on my D90 (screw drive), even in low light.

I suppose the Sigma has better resolution, than the Tamron. But the Tamron seems to me to have better color rendition.

Some people say, that the original Tamron 17-50 2.8 is better optically that the Tamron 2.8 VC-version. I don't know the VC-version myself.

I find optical stabilization somewhat overrated. You will only get an advantage in a few situations with non-moving subjects, but you pay a higher price and you get a lens with higher weight. Just my opinion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow