Barn in snow, take 2...

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Keith Schmidt
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,022Gear list
Like?
Re: Barn in snow, take 2...
In reply to ryan2007, Feb 1, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

When you have a really bright scene like snow that is also reflective the camera tries to make it that 18% grey which is what everything is pretty much based on, neutral.

What I would start with is use center weight meter, zoom to only include the barn and lock exposure, bracket the exposure in full stops one under and maybe two over.

You can also use a Neutral Density filter one or two stops.

I am guessing you used the advanced meter and the camera metered and averaged the entire scene.

So if you meter off a highlight like the snow the image will be dark and if you meter off the red barn it will be better, but you still may have to and I would bracket exposure.

For comparison use the cameras built in auto exposure program to see what that give you.

What is challenging is the roof is covered with snow and the sky has no detail so the sky just meshes into the barn so you don't know where the roof ends and the sky starts.

This is just my opinion and thoughts of what I would do/my style.

On occasion when its a tough scene like this I just convert it to black & white

You can also try the Expo Disc as a suggestion for custom white balance.

Thanks for the feedback and advice - appreciate it.

I did use the full matrix metering on this one - was more curious to see what the art filter would do vs what I could do from a manual control standpoint.

Keith Schmidt's gear list:Keith Schmidt's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow