Photographing buildings and contruction projects

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographing buildings and contruction projects
In reply to M71, Feb 1, 2013

M71 wrote:

Hi - could someone suggest where to start - so many choices out there.

I know very little about cameras and lenses but I'm tasked with photographing our construction projects in various stages of construction for our new website.

Help !

With a budget of $3,000 for camera/lenses etc could someone suggest an actual camera model and which lenses that would suit?

I would say don't bother with the TS lenses; you're not a photographer and they're certainly an advanced tool that takes some learning and some getting used to and probably some luck when you're already going to be struggling with a new camera and more settings than you would imagine at this stage.

If you need pixel perfect images of finished projects, then get a professional involved.

For on the job construction work, a good quality compact will probably do you well, and chuck in a decent sturdy tripod.

If it has to be an SLR, get something that is going to be tough enough for your environment, but really it isn't going to have to be pro-level. Use it with a standard zoom and an ultra-wide zoom and you'll do fine. I'd suggest the Canon 60D or 7D with the 15-85mm lens and the 10-22mm lens. Again, add a decent tripod so you can use long shutter speeds if necessary.

For web-level images, an SLR isn't going to offer you a huge amount extra.

Get your company to invest in the latest version of Adobe Photoshop. This will let you very accurately stitch sets of photographs into complete panoramas (for extra wide angle) and to do some basic perspective correction in the images.

Don't forget that'll all involve extra learning too.

Its certainly possible to get usable and high quality images of this kind of "work in progress" and I do it regularly as part of my own job, but the main thing that distinguishes decent images is the preparation (IE making sure there isn't too much junk in the image), the composition (how the "subject" fills the frame) and throwing away the bad blurry shots. Take lots more than you think you need and throw the rest away.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow