Camera Flash

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,986Gear list
Like?
External Speelite Flashes for PowerShot cameras...
In reply to blips, Feb 1, 2013

You'll really want to consider a flash with the ability to swivel the head to allow for "bounce" effects off the ceiling or off walls.  As a secondary consideration, it's usually good to get a flash that you can control the output on when used OFF the camera.  This will allow you to use it in future off the camera and triggered remotely.

I bought the 420EX II Speedlite flash and still use it off the camera although the 580EX II Speedlite is my main flash because it can be manually adjusted in relation to output when OFF the camera.  I wouldn't consider the smaller flashes due to limitations in their use.

Forget about how big the flash looks on your camera.  If it's not a DSLR, then it's going to look slightly oversized.  You should see how odd these flashes look on the tiny EOS-M.  I've used external speedlite flashes on many different G-series cameras, all the way from the G2 and the Pro1 to the G11 and the G1X.

Below are some examples where the camera was used with a single, external Speedlite flash which was bounced (hence the importance of the swivel-capabilities).  MOST of these shots are from PowerShot cameras.

PowerShot G1X

PowerShot G1X

PowerShot Pro1

PowerShot Pro1

PowerShot Pro1

PowerShot G11

PowerShot G11

EOS-M

60D

PowerShot G11

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow