REALLY wanna jump into Sigma, but what about a decent RAW workflow?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 837
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to PicOne, Feb 1, 2013

Hi Mordicai

Yeah, I know but in my area, clients are usually unknowledgeable about these technical factors.

80% of the time, I can just export them jpegs to go to printing stage, as they do not care.

So if I can do with jpegs, imagine that 8 bit tiffs are more than enough.

And if I may be totally honest, I don't blame them. A non-photographer person can not see the difference between 10 and 30 mp, just imagine what happens with subtle differences in color depth...

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for the really helpful support! Thanks a lot!

I now understand what I have to do with a Sigma camera.

The only thing that's still holding me back (and at the same time, towards D800), is that the suggested workflow is still too much pain, specially when you consider I might shoot more than a thousand shots in a single day.

In the long run, this cumbersome processing chain may simply prove to be a pain in the#@$.

I gotta think a bit more about that.

Kendall, if that's not too much to ask, I'd love to have some files to play with and see that Foveon look a little bit closer.

One last thing I would like to add:

I'm a Nikon guy, but I'm the first one to admit that Sigma has better IQ at low ISO.

(base ISO is where I am 99% of the time)

I don't care how many stops of DR and added resolution the D800 might have. I don't care for DXO either.

I just care for what my eyes can see, the reaction I get, whenever I review those files, and to me, the Nikon files are somewhat empty, compared to Foveon files.

Simply not in the same league.

The D800 files are great? Yeah, from a technical POV, yes.

But they're just like D7000 files, just larger. They lack the richness Foveon has in spades.

Thanks again to all !

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow