The P&S camera market is dead.

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtan163
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275Gear list
Like?
Re: The P&S camera market is dead.
In reply to Takagi, Feb 1, 2013

I reckon the marketing for cameras as well as some of the R&D is wrong.

You have Android cameras that can do everything a phone camera can do, except make phone calls.

Yeah the images are porbalby maringally better and you may get zoom, but basically you have a phone size (or worse slightly bigger) device that can do everything a phone can do ecept make calls.

Why would I carry that?

Then you get all the built in wifi , GPS/Geotagging, easy upload etc.

They are all good and useful features.

But it doesn't sem like great marketing to em to say "look, we can do what a phone could do 2 years ago (although we can't do then quite as well)"

I.e. the camera companies are emphaising features which are the same as the phones have and they are only doing it belatedly.

Instead the P&S marketing should empahsise what a P&S can't do, or can't do well?

E.g. comparisons between focus and blurry images.

Comparisons between a phone photo and a P&S camera taken in a not very bright bar, or a birthday party when the candles are being blown out.

I.e. they should emphasise what they do do well, not what they are only jst catching up on.

Although they do need to have caught up and have the wifi, bluetooth etc working and working well.

In other words I reckon there marketing should be less about their products and more about educating their market.  They have to make the market want the image that the camera can produce and the phone can not.

And maybe make the people in the market feel a little superior for knowing the difference.

Once the market knows the difference there is a much higher chance that they will buy the product that can achieve the image they want.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow