5d3 how to change focus on video?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,889Gear list
Like?
Re: 5d3 how to change focus on video?
In reply to Pitbullo, Feb 1, 2013

Pitbullo wrote:

I dont have it in hand right now, but my 550D can refocus during video without the mirror slamming down. It is a menu function, and can be set to either the shutter button, or the rear function button (*). It is contrast detection autofocus, but it can be done. It works with refocusing. As a full time autofocus like a camcorder, others might be better. I guess this function should be accessible with the 5D3 as well?

Yes, they all have this feature but it disturbs the image while it hunts for focus so its just as bad as using quick focus. In fact if you are prepared to edit this out afterwards using quick AF seems to be quicker and so you loose less footage.

Sometimes you can get lucky with the contrast detection and you will hardly notice it but its not guaranteed.

Im surprised this thread has come up considering the amount of info that has been published and written about the lack of AF over the past few years.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow