Canon 35 f1 + Canon 85 f1.8

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,407Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 35 f1 + Canon 85 f1.8
In reply to brightcolours, Feb 1, 2013

brightcolours wrote:

MAC wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

MAC wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

MAC wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Hello guys,

For €628 I can get both lenses spanking new and they have their charmes,as always a but...

I already own the Canon 15-85 and 70-200 L f4, so the question is:

Will these lenses fit in or will they dissapoint in my lens collection?

Note that the abscence of USM I am aware of and not will be an issue it's just the glass (colours and contrast) and bokeh I am worried about. It isn't L glass pretty aware of that as well.

I have the 35 f2 temporarily until I buy the siggy 35 f1.4 art

skip the 85 f1.8 -- too much CA

It has very low CA! The term CA is used for lateral CA. You must mean LoCA. Which disappears (if it appears) when you stop down. And anyway is easily masked in PP, so not a problem in real anyhow. Its real problem is purple fringing that can pop up wide open, but that is very scene dependent.

get the 100L

The 100mm f2.8 L IS USM macro is much more expensive, has a lower shallow DOF ability (47mm aperture for the 85mm, 35mm aperture for the 100mm), is quite a bit longer (gets to be uncomfortably long for portraits) and focusses slower. And its bokeh is less smooth (the 85mm f1.8 has very good bokeh).

It then is a very different lens, and not a 85mm f1.8 USM alternative.

85 f1.8 would be a good baskeball lens in a high school gym, but ask the wedding photographers who have sold the 85 because it messes up her white dress

Most fast lenses show loCA. Stopping down helps. Funny thing is that the 100mm f2.8 L does not open up to f1.8. So, saying it is better because it does not open up to f1.8.... Hmmm.

The 100mm f2.8 L has strong LoCA itself too at f2.8. And the 85mm f1.8 at f2.8 has quite a bit lower LoCA than at f1.8. I am pretty sure the 85mm at f2.8 is not worse with LoCA than the 100mm f2.8 L wide open.

On messing up white dresses wide open... If needed, nothing is easier than getting rid of a magenta LoCA in PP on a white dress. Of course, one can't shoot the 100mm f2.8 L at f1.8.

I'll take 100L - sharpest lens dpreview has ever tested, fast to focus (over the old version), 4 stop IS, 1 ft min focus dist, and light weight

And yet... NOt a good 85mm f1.8 USM substitute. The 100mm f2.8 has also strong LoCA wide open, has quite a bit longer focal length, is quite a bit heavier and bigger, lacks the f1.8-2.8 range so less DOF play, and focusses slower. And is quite a bit more expensive.

Different horses for different courses.

read this

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50657389

I have "read" that before. Now what is your point? Did it have a loCA comparison between the 85mm f1.8 and the 100mm f2.8 L at f2.8? I must have missed it.

Points:

* The 100mm f2.8 L does not open to f1.8. The 85mm f1.8 does.

* The 100mm f2.8 L has strong LoCA wide open too.

* The 85mm f1.8's LoCA diminishes when stopped down.

* The LoCA shown in those images is super easily and quickly corrected/masked in post processing, so it is not really a problem.

Simply put: It is strange to dismiss the 85mm f1.8 USM for the possibility of LoCA showing up in some images when used wide open, because it is easily corrected in PP, and one can also stop it down like any other lens. Suggesting a lens that is already stopped down in comparison (100mm f2.8 L) is then also a bit strange, as one will miss the f2 and f1.8 ability. And then suggesting a lens with quite strong loCA....

LoCA from 100mm L wide open:

my Lightroom corrects LoCA on the 100L.

CA on the 100L is well controlled

"Lateral CAs are generally well controlled with less than 1px on the average at the image borders. At 100% magnification you may spot this but it shouldn't be a problem on prints."

ask the many wedding photographers who sold their 85 f1.8 because of the purple/blue - instead of white dress.

also I wouldn't consider the 85 f1.8 sharp wide open - so why bother.

handholding the 85 on crop -  135 fov - in low light - good luck

I get sharp shots with 100L down to ss 1/8

ya gets what ya pays for

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow