Please share photgraphy tip(s) you've used

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
AvyMan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,277
Like?
AF switch, lens hoods, and Shoe Goo
In reply to dzba, Feb 1, 2013

AF switch: I shoot roughly 50-50 hand held and on a tripod. For tripod shots I'm in the habbit of turning off the AF, even with "smart" lenses where they say you don't have to. I'm slowly learning to get in the habbit of turning the AF back on when I remove the camera from the tripod. There were too many times that I've thought the AF stopped working (or blew a particular shot from camera shake) only to realize I'd forgotten to turn it back on. I know, I'm slow.

Lens hood and wind: If it's not needed to block glare, I'll take the lens hood off when shooting in the wind, either tripod or hand held. The hood acts like a big sail to catch the wind, especially on the larger, longer lenses where you need to be even more steady. Obviously this doesn't matter much on something like the 10-22mm.

"Shoe Goo": It was hard getting a good grip on my center-pinch lens caps, especially with cold, dry fingers or thin gloves. I used Shoe Goo to solve the problem. Any other thick glue would probably work too. Put a drop or two where you pinch to release the cap, use a toothpick to spread it out and pull it up into little spikes (parallel to the cap itself) and let it dry. This worked great to create a non-slip surface.

Nick

-- hide signature --

Photography -- a compatible blend of tech and art --
(Please contact if you want to use any posted photos.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow