Eagle BIFs and URGENT AF-S question to birders/tele shooters/trouble shooters!

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,994Gear list
Like?
Marianne strikes again!!!
In reply to Marianne Oelund, Feb 1, 2013

Marianne Oelund wrote:

You are creating a problem by shooting through an open door, from a heated indoor environment, through the high temperature gradient to the cold outdoor air. It's the turbulent air at the open door which is causing the AF jitteriness and inaccuracy.

If you go completely outside, close the door behind you, move away from the building and try your AF again in an entirely cold environment, I'll bet the problem goes away - especially if you let the camera and lens acclimate a bit to the outdoor temperature.

Hi Marianne.

You should have named a figure for your bet ... but then, I wouldn't have had the guts to bet against you anyway.

You were absolutely correct!

I did consider the indoor/outdoor heat issue the other day, and I stepped out onto our 2nd floor deck to do some test pics, but they were still blurry. I must not have gone far enough away from the house, as the deck is snowy where the heat from the house hasn't melted it, and I didn't have shoes upstairs.

I repeated the test a few minutes ago (this time with boots and coat on), and it was just as you said. The jitter stops completely when I go a couple of meters away from the house. Focus is spot on.

The camera and lens have been in a cold room all night, which may have helped as well.

Hoo, what a relief.

Thank you, thank you!

Have a spectacular trip next week!

I'm sure I will now. (If I can get rid of this cold.)

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow