Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions thread
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
Like?
Re: Zeikos 4.5x tele lens for G1X
In reply to Rod McD, Feb 1, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Lars,

I read your earlier post about the TC with interest. Your results were impressive I thought, although I'd have to say that the TC is rather large. However, at the time, I couldn't find a source to get any info about Siocore products. (I've found them since, but the detail is in German - I suspect they're marketed in Europe only. (I'm in Australia).

Have you ever tried their 0.6 or 0.7 WA converters - they make a 58mm model?

Thx, Rod

I simply use the 1.5x digital zoom, which gives up to  168 mm equivalent focal length.

Of course it is merely using the center of the sensor, which could also be achieved by cropping the 4x optical zoom image in post processing. The latter would give you freedom to try several different crops, to see which you like.

The G1X has such a superb lens and sensor and Digicam 5 processor that the images are excellent even when cropped.

What is the argument for using the 1.5X digital zoom rather than cropping in post-processing? The advantage of cropping in the camera via the 1.5x digital zoom is that you can see what you are doing, you can see what the final image will look like, which is a great help in composition. You can zero in on exactly the part of the scene you want to concentrate on and you can see in advance what kind of aesthetic result you will get.

Digital zoom is widely considered to be a bad idea with most cameras, but the superb image quality of the G1X puts it in a different class and makes digital zoom feasible, in my experience.

An optical teleconverter may well give a better image, I don't know, but it looks a lot less convenient to me.

But different strokes for different folks, there are many correct paths.

Krugman

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow