mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?
Re: Image stabilisation question
In reply to Guidenet, Feb 1, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

leew8948 wrote:

Hello

quick question, I recently sold my panasonic lx7 as my wife bought me a sony rx100 for Xmas, I am noticing the IS is not as good as the panny in lower light with slow shutter speeds at low iso hand held shots, my question is has the 14-42 power zoom lens got the same level of IS as the Lx7 had ? In the above shooting situations? As I am thinking of getting a panasonic MFT body ( g3 or gx1) to add along with the rx100

thanks for any help or guidance

lee

Ok, Lee, time to graduate. You've been shooting the funzy cameras long enough and it's time to take the next step. I want to to go purchase a new Nikon D5100 with a stabilized 18-55 VR lens and start learning how to use it. It's a pretty tiny DSLR and very light weight. Will it fit in your pocket? Not quite, but so what. It's your next step in photography and I think it's about time. Learn to use the optical viewfinder and learn how to hold the camera steady to help the IS.

Learn how to process your own images and become passionate about this endeavor. I just have a feeling you're ready. I just hate to see you spinning your wheels down the same sort of road upgrading so marginally. Take a full size step forward and out of a point and shoot mentality.

Good luck and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

The Panasonic LX7 and Sony RX100 are more than "funzy" cameras. I'm all for the OP going for a D5100, although I'd go for the 18-105 VR if possible instead of the 18-55 VR, but I wouldn't knock the LX7 and RX100. They are very good for what they are, which is a compact camera for those times you don't want to shlep a DSLR or for those people who don't need a DSLR.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow