Best compact instead of DSLR? -asked loads of times I know, but prices now reduced

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Best compact instead of DSLR? -asked loads of times I know, but prices now reduced
In reply to Alpha Jack, Feb 1, 2013

Any of the compacts you named would be good except for wildlife. For that you'll need a lot more than the 90mm of the LX7 or 112mm or so of the RX100. The Nikon P7700 comes closer with 200mm, but even that may not be enough.

There is a group of compacts called travel zooms that have lenses that go from wideangle to medium-long tele. All of the major brands have them. I have a Panasonic ZS15 with a Leica 24-384mm lens that covers architecture to wildlife which is typical for these travel zooms. I'm very happy with the ZS15 and it's one that I would recommend. Since new models seem to come out daily, it's best to go to  a website like B&H and check out what's being offered by all the big guys.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow