Third Party Flash....

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,069Gear list
Like?
Re: Third Party Flash....
In reply to jdurant, Feb 1, 2013

I recommend you get an E-TTL II flash for your first flash.  As you progress and get the flash off the camera TTL becomes unimportant and you can change to buying very low cost fully manual power controlled optical slave hot-shoe flash units for extra lights.

The Canon flash units are rugged professional photographer quality, and you pay for that.

The Nissin flash units are nearly as rugged and I consider them to be professional quality but they are less expensive.

Metz has been around a fairly long time and has a pretty good reputation. Yongnuo flash units are newer and have a pretty good but sometimes spotty reputation.

In your case I would recommend the Yongnuo YN-468-II or YN-565EX as a starter flash.  One other to consider is the Nissin Di622-II.  Basically it comes down to price for your needs.

Speedlights.net | Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-468II E-TTL Speedlite Flash “Mark 2″ (E-TTL II on-camera only)

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash Review (Equiv 430EX II & ETTL-II on/off-camera)

Speedlights.net | Nissin Flash Review: Di622-II (flash for Canon / Nikon)

I do recommend you learn some about how to use a hot-shoe flash.  Syl Arena wrote an excellent book on this and has several free B&H TV tutorials.

Syl Arena - Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites (9780321711052)

Syl Arena - B&H - Getting The Most Out Of Canon Speedlites

Syl Arena - B&H - Canon Speedliting with Multiple Flashes

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow