Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
VT
VT
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?
Re: Gamut coverage and accuracy are not the same thing
In reply to Chris Noble, Feb 1, 2013

Chris Noble wrote:

Covering 100% of the sRGB gamut does not mean that the monitor is accurate. It could be way off and still have a range that is 100% (or more). Accuracy is how close each individual gradation is to what it should be.

Thank you I think we may have covered this already - I realize that many don't think anything other than calibration with a tool is adequate, and I accept that - however I bought this monitor because it had an sRGB preset that sets sRGB color space, and there are absolutely no other adjustments under that setting not even brightness and contrast, so it is more than gamut - otherwise it would useless.

I think it looks well adjusted from all the calibration sites that I could check it with - like I said short of actual calibration I think it is pretty well calibrated - I cannot prove anything, only using my eyes - and yes I accept my eyes can be fooled - but then I "think"my photos are OK - at least not wildly out.

Respected review sites that I was referred to here seems to show that factory calibration is more than just gamut - but adjusted for sRGB color space - and they were pretty accurate even compared to the reviewer's calibration.

So I accept I could be deluding myself - but I think I am fussy enough about my photos and processing to at least care about the accuracy of my monitor otherwise I would not have posted.

I am NOT against calibration neither am I refusing to calibrate -

However I still stand by what I said - today's monitors with their factory calibrated sRGB presets are better than most previous budget monitors - and these presets may not the most "accuratest" (sic) in the world, but they do bear some close resemblance to calibration - certainly within probably my current capabilities with any calibration tool that I could afford (ie: unlikely to be the best).

Thank you for your input.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow