Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jpark1982
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
Why I'm choosing the NEX-6 and Zeiss combo over the RX-1
Feb 1, 2013

Long time lurker, not too long time poster here on the DP forums.

Let me start by saying that I suffer from buying/selling cameras too often.  I started with a D600, then went up to a 5DIII, then to a NEX-6.  I was happy with the NEX-6 and Zeiss combo but decided that I wanted to give the RX-1 a chance.  I was fully ready to list my NEX-6 and Zeiss for sale and make the RX-1 my choice.

With the NEX-6 I knew what it was good for and what it lacked.  High ISO performance isn't terrible but isn't a standout.  But I loved it for what it was, a stellar performer in a small package.

What reason was I drawn to the RX-1?  Well first the world class optics.  After having the Zeiss on the NEX-6, I hardly ever swap out the lens (granted my only other lens is the 18-55 kit lens).  So I thought having a FF sensor with a 35mm lens would be magic.

The single greatest complaint I read about the RX-1 outside of the price is the lack of a viewfinder.  I didn't let the lack of an EVF on the RX-1 throw me too much, I hardly ever use the EVF on the NEX-6.

So what did I like about the RX-1?

1. The high ISO perfomance rocks.  I felt that up to ISO 6400 was fully usable and higher under certain situations.

2. Having an aperture ring was a nice additon.

3. The macro capability proved to be useful.

So what didn't I like about the RX-1?

1. The lack of a solid grip.  With the NEX-6, I feel confident about just walking around for hours just holding the camera by the grip and felt secure that even with a $1000 Zeiss on the lens that I wouldn't drop it.  That's not to say that the RX-1 is slippery, just I don't feel confident holding it.

2. The strap lugs feel uncomfortable.  Maybe it was because I didn't have a strap or anything on it, but I felt like because of the lack of a natural holding position, the lugs were in an uncomfortable place between my thumb and index finger.

3. The noise that the lens makes when hunting.  The shutter is super silent but the whirring of the lens to focus and the mechanical feeling that I get while it's locking focus felt unnatural to me.  The NEX-6 it it's shutter sounds more camera-like if that's a word to me.

4. I don't know if it was just me, but the rear dial felt like it didn't stick out enough.  Also while I appreciate that the mode dial and the exposure compensation dials are solid that they prevent accidental rotations, they felt too stiff and uncomfortable to rotate.  4. I don't know if it was just me, but the rear dial felt like it didn't stick out enough.  Also while I appreciate that the mode dial and the exposure compensation dials are solid that they prevent accidental rotations, they felt too stiff and uncomfortable to rotate.

What I appreciate in the NEX-6 over the RX-1

1. The grip

2. The ability to manually bounce the flash makes indoor shots much easier to get.

3. The right about of customized options.  The RX-1 has a done of buttons that you can configure, which is good, but sometimes it seems like there are too man icons on the screen at once.  Hitting the Fn button to scroll through the options seems much at times, though I'm sure that I could get used to it.

4. While I don't swap lenses because of the Zeiss, I do like that later on if I do get into MF lenses that I have the option to.

What I'm looking for in my true NEX-6 replacement

1. GPS

2. Touchscreen, even if just for menus, but a touch focus would be amazing.

3. Improved high ISO performance, possible 24MP sensor.

4. I don't even need a FF sensor, it would take too much time to develop a solid stable of lenses.  The biggest knock on the NEX system was the lack of lenses which I think they're starting to build on now, having to start from the beginning would be frustrating.  But a clean APS-C sensor with improved low light performance and usable ISO6400 would be amazing.

Sorry if this seems like I'm rambling on, but I just wanted to voice why I'm sticking with the NEX-6 and Zeiss over the RX-1.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow