1.7 or 2x teleconverter on 70-200 f 2.8

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.7 or 2x teleconverter on 70-200 f 2.8
In reply to GregWCIL, Jan 31, 2013

GregWCIL wrote:

Your comparison makes it very clear: It's better to use a teleconverter than to "digital zoom." Sure looked to me like the 2x was the clearest.

And Mike, your shot is fantastic. I assume you would have been using continuous focus to get that. Even then, it's amazing that a camera and lens can keep up. (It's so good you can see that there is no pilot in the plane, lol.)

Thank you both for your graphic information.

Greg

Thanks,

Frankly focus performance was one of the least concerning factors even with the VR1 behind that TC, at least in bright daylight.  If Memory serves it was AF-C, Continuous High (with AAs in grip for 8FPS), release+focus priority, using the single point with 3d auto track AF.  What blew me away was that the VR worked well enough to get that shot at 1/200th of a second at 400mm on DX.  I will say out of a sequence of about 6 photos this was the only one that came out, but thankfully it was also the right moment with the hand on the wing.  The pilot sits pretty far back because the plane is a stunt plane, but he's in there.  But  yeah, the VR1 isn't really that bad behind the TC20EIII, but the base file out of the camera definitely needed a lot of tweaking.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow