Am I able to do shallow DoF with RX100?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,843
Like?
Re: Am I able to do shallow DoF with RX100?
In reply to dpyy, Jan 31, 2013

dpyy wrote:

I hear that the 1.8 aperture of RX100 is mostly a marketing gimmick. You aren't able to achieve a shallow DoF except for some extreme macro-like kind of shots. Is this true? I'm trying to see if I can buy a small compact camera that is capable of producing decent level of portrait shots with nice bokeh. Thank you.

Use a depth of field calculator.  There are plenty on-line

This one

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

works with the Sony rx100 and at a subject distance of 10ft at 37.5mm and F4.8 (doesn't do f4.9 on the site but its close enough) you end up with about 1.25 feet of depth of field behind the subject.

Double the camera to subject distance and the depth behind the subject becomes just less than 6 feet.

So if you subject is further away from the background than 6 feet the backgrould ought to be out of focus and your portrait would look OK.

For comparison stick a CZ16-80 zoom set to  70mm @ F4.5 (That is the max aperture of that lens at the that length) on a Sony aps-c slr and  you get roughly half as much depth of field.  0.58 feet at 10ft distance and 2.48 at 20ft distance.

Of course with the SLR you could put faster lenses on such as an 85mm F2.8 or F1.4 giving very narrow depth of field indeed.

If you prefer metric measurements the site works that way also.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow