The 12-35 mm for landscape.

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,424
Like?
Re: Not every lens does this!
In reply to Paul De Bra, Jan 31, 2013

Paul De Bra wrote:

The example image that was shown illustrates a problem with this lens that is not present in all lenses!

On my Canon dslr I had the Sigma 18-125 lens for about a year. This lens (which had issues like autofocus) was extremely resistant to purple fringing. I later got the Canon 17-85IS which is notorious for loads of purple fringing. I replaced it with the 17-55IS which was more resistant to PF.

I currently have the E-M5 with Olympus 12-50 and I have the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. Under the exact same circumstances, shooting at 20mm the 12-50 will not show purple fringing where the 20mm shows very clear purple fringing.

This is not so, Paul. The 12-50 has considerable CA. I just checked a shot, for example, that I took with this lens at 18 mm, and there is decided purple fringing. Perhaps you have CA removal on by default, or perhaps you are simply not looking in the right places. The CA is readily removed in ACR. If you're shooting jpeg, I would image the camera's jpeg engine removes it as well.

So it looks like the 12-35 is pretty bad in the purple fringing area. Don't know if this is common with Panasonic lenses. But for such an expensive lens it is not really acceptable. I know the image is a purple fringing nightmare (branches against bright sky always is problematic) but I would expect much better from such an expensive lens. Now if only there was an alternative...

The 12-35 definitely has CA, most of these mFT zooms (and a number of the primes) do. It is part of the beast. It is expected that rectilinear distortion and CA will be removed in software -- and it is very effectively dealt with that way. This is done automatically with a Panasonic body, but must be done in processing with an Olympus body. It is not an element that can be counted against either Olympus or Panasonic lenses. It comes with the territory.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow