S3pro/ S5pro 50mm lens question

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark Carr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064
Like?
Re: S3pro/ S5pro 50mm lens question
In reply to Bernie Ess, Jan 31, 2013

Hi Bernie,

I can't comment on any of these new G lenses, I stay away from them because I can't get them cleaned where I live, and with the amount of humidity here that's a major concern. To have to send them back to the States every time they needed to be cleaned would cost me a fortune.

But I can say this, I have the 35mm 2.0 AF-D and 50mm 1.8 AF-D lenses, and when I compare them  to the older 35mm 1.4 AIS and 50mm 1.8 AIS lenses they are noticeably colder; I was shocked at just how much colder they are. As well, the older lenses have a much more pleasant tone to them and the OOF area is rendered in a much more pleasant way. In terms of sharpness, there's no comparison. The AF's are sharp, but you need to stop down to f4 order to get sharp corners, whereas the AIS versions are sharp all @ f2. I conducted a test off my balcony and was shocked at the difference. I never use the AF lenses anymore, I much prefer the manual versions. Perhaps this is not what you're looking for, but some of them are so damn cheap it's hard to pass up.

Kind regards,

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow