The value of using laptops versus much faster desktops

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: The value of using laptops versus much faster desktops
In reply to John1940, Jan 31, 2013

Yep. I've had UPS on the desktops. Our intermittent power supply appears to kill them fairly quickly. lol. They are clicking in and out during fluctuations several times per hour. When they work, the time on battery tends to be fairly short. You have time to finish what you are doing and shut down, but that's about it unless you pay a fortune and get a very large one. Most of the ones I had gave me a running time of 6-15 minutes. With a laptop you get 2 hours or whatever. Plus the laptop has a nice safe shutdown if you do run low. For me it was the far more elegant solution as a writer in a rural area.

Of course the portability is also a big thing. It's nice for inspiration to move the laptop wherever you want - especially to bed on those winter nights. lol.

I was very slow to move to a laptop. Now I would never go back

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow