My story and the quest for a single camera.

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
glpsace
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
My story and the quest for a single camera.
Jan 31, 2013

Hello everyone,

This is my first post around here so please bear with me as I think it will be a long one. I also apologise for my English as it is not my native language.

My story:

I’m 36 years old, and I live in Portugal. I have been an enthusiast since I was little but honestly I’m not a very good photographer, I just don’t have the eye for it. I’m aware of it and learned to live with it.

So, around 5 or 6 years ago life economical life was great and decided to enter the DSLR world. I got caught by the gear lush and had a few Pentax and Nikon cameras with tons of primes. I´m a sucker for primes and curiously only had one zoom… the one usually coming bundled with a camera:P

Just to give you an idea this is what I can recall:

Sigma DP1

Pentax: K200D / K10D with all the FA Limiteds and a few DA Limited

Nikon: D40 / D300 with 35/2 – 50/1.8 – 60/2.8 – 85/1.4 – 85/1.8 – 105/2.5 ais – 200/2.8

Also had a few Zeiss distagon and Voigtlander lens (just love well built lens with MF)

My favourite DSLR was by far the Fuji S5Pro. I love Fuji colours and as I concentrate most on candids and portraits nothing comes close to natural skin tones colours as the Fuji.

Anyway, in the last couple of years I was struck hard by the economical crisis and my life changed a lot! Sold everything along the way and last week I sold my 2 last pieces, which were a 50/1.8 and my beloved S5Pro.

I decided to departure with the S5 because I am sort of lazy and I was leaving the Fuji at home, most of the times because it was too big and wasn’t whiling anymore to take it everywhere with me.

So, for the first time I can remember I don’t have any camera or system. And that is just not possible, no matter how hard life is!

So, on a tight budget, I sat down, decided what I wanted and started the quest.

What do I want?

Based on past experience the most 2 important aspects for me are:

Portability and IQ (the latest especially with jpegs since I’m not very fund of post-processing).

As I just want to shoot my 5 years princess, most of the time, I realised that candids and portraits remain my main purpose.

So keeping this in mind and the low budget I went searching…. And was quite shocked when realised there is a new world out there (the mirrorless one) that can be as, or more, expensive that the DSLR one.

Searched and despaired. Nothing would draw my attention within my budget range. Than I cam across the X100 and felt in love! But when I checked the price….the smile went away.

Then started checking here and there and found that it can be found new for quite a nice price here and there. Started the math and realised that with some sacrifice, in 2 or 3 months, I could be able to afford it. Plus if the X100S is really coming out on March, I have a chance that prices can go further down and even consider a case or small external flash. Who knows?

Anyway, I have a goal and just want to get back to the basics of photography. Just want to have fun and learn and grow.

I had all this expensive equipment but really never enjoyed it because I was more obsessed about the next piece of gear that I didn’t had and should have.

I don’t believe I care about the new model coming out (unless as a gift :D) because I couldn’t afford it and because the X100 is more camera that I will ever need in a lifetime. As I’ve said before, I’m not a very good photographer.

I just wanted to share my thoughts with you while I wait to join this fantastic community, hopefully within a few months.

Thanks for reading and for your kindness.

Cheers.

GLP

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300 Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Pentax K200D Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow