Why only a score of 17 (lenses) on DXO

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987
Like?
Re: Is it because of their 'apparent megapixels' sharpness rating?
In reply to Anders W, Jan 31, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Anders W wrote:

PeterNMIF wrote:

Thanks. That is sort of what I felt was the case, as it was really the only answer.

Peter F.

On top of that, the DxO rating is partly based on how much light a lens can gather. A 50/1.4 for FF will gather four times as much light as a 25/1.4 for MFT at the same exposure due to the larger image circle (and larger sensor). So in a way, they count the FF advantage twice: First when rating sensors and then when rating lenses. One would think that once might be enough.

I think they should find another way to rate the lenses. This method makes confusion to many.

So do I. I never cared about their scores but found their MTF curves useful. Since they have dropped those in favor of the P-Mpix mumbo-jumbo, I don't find much reason to look at their lens reviews any more. The sensor tests remain very valuable, but in that case too, I don't care much about the scores. I just look at their measurements.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Same here. I only check it for recommended lens' 'sharp' focal lengths and when CA are obvious to extreme.

I'm over comparing a v8 engine against a v6 engine and just keep driving/shooting

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow