Olympus/Panasonic micro 4/3 comparisons

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,749Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus/Panasonic micro 4/4 comparisons
In reply to seminolewind, Jan 31, 2013

seminolewind wrote:

I know they look different, but does one have an edge over the other?

Is it me, or does this specific forum have a lot more threads about the Olympus cameras? Why is that?

Mainly because the Olympus OM-D E-M5 was, according to many, "Camera of the Year" for 2012. The EPL5 was also released. I suspect that Panasonic will get a lot of attention here in the coming months because of the GH3. When I bought my first m4/3 camera back in January, 2010 it seemed like the Panasonic cameras were much more prominent in the discussions... and the GF1 was extremely popular.

Both companies make excellent cameras and lenses that can be used together, but the fundamental difference between the two brands is this: Olympus uses IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilization) and Panasonic uses Lens-based stabilization (O.I.S.). This means all lenses are stabilized when you use them with Olympus bodies (including manual focus legacy lenses), but on the Panasonic side only stabilized lenses are stabilized. The 5-axis IBIS in the EPL5 and E-M5 is also kind of a new thing. From my experience the main advantage seems to be that it keeps the shakes down in video extremely well. For still photography I have had good experiences with both IBIS and OIS. That said Panasonic's GH series are the best video cameras in the m4/3 world.

My first m4/3 camera was a Panasonic GF1. Now I have the E-M5. Both were excellent purchases. You just need to decide what features are important to you, including the size and form factor of the body. The E-M5 might be the most popular at the moment, but it's not perfect. For starters you have to clip the flash on. That doesn't bother me, but it bothers some. I also wish it had a full articulating LCD instead of one that just tilts up or down. This site is a good place to start reading reviews and comparing different models. Also check out Thom Hogan's sansmirror website.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow