Am I doing something wrong? Sony A57

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
stan_pustylnik
Senior MemberPosts: 3,171Gear list
Like?
fast 50mm or longer fast lens, RAW, Congratulations!!!!
In reply to JajoB, Jan 31, 2013

JajoB wrote:

Hey all,

Returned a Nikon D5100 for a Sony A57, and here I am. I had intended on buying the NEX5R, but after playing with the A57 in the store, I had to have it.

I've been playing around with it a little, and am still learning (I'm very new to the DSLR/T world). My pictures of stationary objects have come out great, but capturing my son on photo is a little more difficult.

I came here to ask, what the heck is going on with this picture? The graininess is terrible, and his skin doesn't look smooth; it looks plastic. What is going on here? Check out the graininess around his nose and mouth. Am I expecting too much from the camera? Or do I just need more practice?

Your son is most addorable and very cute. His eyes are gorgeous and he tracks your camera with big interest. You'll have great help in family soon.

1. Don't let "visual flaps" to distract you from most important - you catch unique photos with every click. Don't delete them, save for postprocessing.

2.Color or any other issues are fixable as long as you hade photo and didn't delete it.

3. as stated before me - get inexpensive faster lens(es) like 50mm f/1.8 or older Minolta maxxum f/1.7. these will allow you to get down to ISO 1600-2000 to avoid noise.

4. longer lens - less distortion you'll get by stepping back. Try geeting Sony 85mm f/2.8 or Minolta 135mm f/2.8 AF for tight portraits. Sony 85mm f/2.8 beats default zoom at portraits - hands down.

5. shot in RAW - it is best to do adjustments of color, shadows/highlights, exposure compensation.

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.
http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow