100-300 lens choice: Pana or Oly?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I will go with the Oly unless it's an utter disappointment
In reply to sean000, Jan 31, 2013

sean000 wrote:

Unless this new version turns out to be significantly inferior, which is possible but unlikely, I will buy the 75-300mm mkII instead of the Panasonic 100-300mm for the following reasons:

• Lighter and Smaller - I already own a Nikon 300mm f/4 telephoto that I can use with MF on my E-M5 and with AF on my Nikon DSLR. The main point for me to get a zoom like this is that it be lighter and smaller for daily carry, so I want the lightest and smallest possible.
  • Better C-AF with the E-M5? I believe I have read that this is an advantage of the original 75-300mm over the Panasonic.
  • The 75-100mm range is quite useful. I currently have the 45-200mm Panasonic, which I plan to sell, and I use the 45-100mm range quite a lot. Since I have the 45mm f/1.8 I'm fine with having a gap between 45mm and 75mm. 45mm and 100mm is a bigger gap (although I do have a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro I use a lot).

If you use both Olympus and Panasonic bodies, the 100-300mm makes more sense because of the built-in stabilization. If I ever buy another Panasonic body (I had the GF1), I will sell the 75-300mm and buy a Panasonic tele zoom.

Personally I don't worry about the half a stop difference between the Oly and the Panny at 300mm. With the high ISO capabilities of the OM-D, that is a negligible difference. If the MKII does appear to be inferior, I will probably see what kind of deal I can score on a used copy of the original version. Actually... I think I might just pre-order the new version and see for myself. I'm feeling lucky

Sean

Both are great lens. Depends on personal taste and needs. One thing I would like to see is the same scene and settings and camera taken at 300mm with both lens.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow