Why doesn't Nikon use 2 processors to achieve higher fps?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,597
Like?
Re: Why doesn't Nikon use 2 processors to achieve higher fps?
In reply to kb2zuz, Jan 31, 2013

kb2zuz wrote:

So the D600 could probably have been faster with the processor it has. It was more likely the shutter/mirrorbox that was the limitation on that camera

^^^ This

(and they may well be pushing that to the limit already with the oil/dust problem with oil coming off the mirror mechanism).

It wouldn't matter how many times a second it happened, the mirror up/down and the shutter speed is the same each time, whether it's once a second or X times a second.

So with the higher price and bigger body, you don't end up with a D750, you end up with a D5.

Yep.

More reasonable approach would be to make a D750 based of the 16MP chip in the D4 and just limit it to 8fps.

Nikon's strategy is curious. I'm not sure we're going to see a D750, but it certainly wouldn't be hard to do.

I am curious as to how many people would buy the following, assuming body build (feature set) stays as it currently is but the price slides a little with the different sensors:

• D600 @ 16 vs D600 @ 24
  • D600 @ 24 vs D800 @ 24
  • D800 @ 24 vs D800e @36

I guess I'm most curious if the feature set or the sensor would be the driving factor if all else was equal. I think a lot of sensible people know they don't need 36 MPs but most definitely would like the very best in AF, metering, etc.  Personally I think Nikon should have had two 24 MP bodies and one 36 MP body instead of the other way around.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow