Best compact instead of DSLR? -asked loads of times I know, but prices now reduced

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
merlinthehappypig
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Best compact instead of DSLR? -asked loads of times I know, but prices now reduced
Jan 31, 2013

I know this question has been asked a thousand times before and there a plethora of reviews comparing one with another, but most of them are older reviews and discussions when prices were near to launch. Now that prices have plunged on some models in the UK I'd be interested to know what people would pick now.

I'm coming from a Pentax DSLR and want something smaller and lighter for travelling. Image quality is important, but I don't pixel peep, rarely if ever print anything out and then not larger than A4. The overall feel and look of the finished photo is more important than every last bit of sharpness. So far I have only ever shot in jpeg.

I travel a lot and shoot mostly street scenes/people, plus some architecture, landscape and wildlife. I want something small and unobtrusive, preferably with little or no shutter sound. Ideally not an interchangeable lens system, but accept that this is more versatile so could live with it. Decent low light shooting would be nice - used to it with the K-30.

I can get a Fuji X10 for £250, Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30mm for £230 and 10-30mm and 30-110mm for £390, Panasonic LX7 for £299, Sony RX100 for £440, Olympus E-PM1 with 14-42 and 40-150 for £299, Pentax Q with 5-15mm for £199. Also considering the X100 at around £500 and the as yet not launched Fuji X20. As a complete afterthought also Panasonic TS15/ZX25, maybe as a supplement to one of the other that has a fixed lens/limited zoom or even on it's own.

Spent days on this and getting nowhere!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow