Re: Full Frame Squirrel at ISO12800
In reply to wymjym, Jan 31, 2013

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

wymjym wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

It is noisy and smeary. What is your point?

-=[ Joms ]=-

The point was mentioned at the bottom of the photo ...... " evening.....nearly dark" Some of your HS pictures look like that in broad daylight.

We all knew that there would be no satisfying him no matter what was posted. If you ask for something and someone provides it then you have to reject it.

I think under the conditions and at that ISO it's not a bad photo at all. Noisy? At 12,800 I would expect a little noise. Smeary? At that light level and shooting wide open, anything not in focus is going to be more than bokeh-blurred.

With some cameras, by the time they'd gotten focus, it would have been daylight again.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

I’ve found that the fujis will give good results if the exposure is really on the mark. Higher iso + cropping is a delicate dance but can be rewarding if handled well. The higher the iso the more certain the framing and fl must be since cropping and cleaning the images generally does nothing but show more clearly the defects or lack of detail.

The FF experience is quite different; up to (with d800/e) iso 1250 most images can be absolutely spectacular with regard to noise/dr and acuity………..up to 3200 is the same but on a lesser scale…….6400 is acceptable for some shooting but a bit of PP is always needed………and higher than 6400 is okay, which is really astounding…but anything above 3200 is really not for serious cropping and pixel peeping.

I was curious about shooting 6400 in scenarios where I would typically try to keep at iso 2000 or lower.

This girl looks okay but I know from past experiences she would have had quite a bit better micro contrast and less grittieness if shot @ iso 4000 or less.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Stunning photo, but it's a pity that there is no fine detail left in the structure of the fur and there are no blinking lights in the eye left, something little deer are famous for. Looks like the deer has died a long time ago and is already stiff.

Peter

Peter

Yeh, she was a nice ‘semi active’ (not dead) subject @ iso 6400. Of course when you do open up the image to ‘original’ it does improve and then if I had uploaded the full 7200 x xxx pixel image you would see even more detail but then I don’t look through your eyes or onto your monitor…so it is hard to tell what you are really seeing….

So I’ll just leave you with it.

at iso 3200 (as I mentioned) things do get better

and a closer look at the cactus spines

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

I doubt these are cactus spines. Cactusses grow in a desert, not in woods where deer are jumping around. Must be pieces of grass. Deer eat grass and leaves. Maybe this deer is mad and wants to eat cactusses but I doubt it.

Peter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow