Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John1940
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?
The value of using laptops versus much faster desktops
Jan 31, 2013

A few years ago I started using laptops instead of my speedier desktops for anything of importance except when I need really fast processing of the software I write or for doing somethings related to photography or cinematography.  Why? Because they have uninterruptible power supplies.

I was doing something of value a few minutes ago and we got a 20-second power outage, probably caused by the strong winds we've got today. My 23-inch monitor and the lights went off but the laptop obviously was not affected.

I do have a 7 kW backup generator in a weather-protected shed for longer power outages but I have to go outside to start the thing and the flip a few switches inside the house to get going again. That's very important for people living out in the country (especially in the winter) because we can't even get well water to flush toilets (repeatedly) or power furnace fans or high-pressure fuel pumps (if they brn heating oil).

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow