Has the X100s lost the signature look of the X100?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Digital Imaging Technician
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
Hard to judge
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 31, 2013

Photozopia wrote:

Just my impression, but looking at the current (limited) number of sample images from the X100s, I wonder if the unique look of the original X100 file has been lost in a move to non-Bayer X-Trans sensor technology?

Images like those featured on - http://www.flixelpix.com/featured/hands-on-the-x100s/ - and official samples featured on Fuji's own site.

The S output seems to have a sharper, crisper/harder edge to them - unlike the older X100 - whose files have often been described as 'creamy' or 'fluid' - almost film-like in nature.

What's your viewpoint?

The samples in the link you provided have obviously been heavily toned and there's also a lot of vignetting added. Impossible to tell anything from them I'd said. The official samples on the other hand might say something, at least about the jpeg processing engine. Shooting raw will give you plenty of latitude to adjust colors and tone to mimic the X100, if you end up preferring "the old look".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow