How big does a watermark have to be to be legally recognized?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588Gear list
Like?
Re: How big does a watermark have to be to be legally recognized?
In reply to Starshot, Jan 31, 2013

Starshot wrote:

Or how small can you make it I mean?

A watermark is used to identify the owner/creator of an image and or to stop it being used without permission (usually by making the image unusable by covering a portion). So for this purpose a watermark would need to be large enough and prominent enough to render the image unusable. As pointed out above there is no legal protection involved.

A copyright notice is something different. You no longer need to put a copyright notice on work for it to be protected, however (in some countries) the removal of a copyright notice by a person infringing your copyright will be taken evidence that they wilfully infringed your copyright - which means the penalties are higher. In the USA removal of a copyright notice would be a federal offence which carries a large fine. Pointing this fact out to someone who just removed your copyright notice and used your image without permission can act as an encouragement for them to settle a dispute before it gets to court.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow